1. Verse - "Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good." Psalm 107:1
(I still haven't found our other verse cards, which have become misplaced in the move! I'm hoping they show up this weekend, when we organize the basement.)
2. Lesson -
- Pray with your child about the lesson.
- Read the verse.
- God wants us to be thankful.
- What does it mean to be thankful?
- God gives us many wonderful things. What are some wonderful things that God has given us?
- God gives us good things because he loves us! When God gives us good things, they are called "blessings." We should be thankful to God for all our blessings. We need to tell God, "thank you."
- God also wants us to be thankful to other people.
- When people give us things, or do nice things for us, or help us, God wants us to be thankful to them. That's why we say, "thank you" to each other and write thank you cards.
- For example, when one of you teachers helps you with something at preschool, you should tell them thank you! Or when Nana sends you something special, we write her a thank-you note.
- God wants us to be thankful all the time, to him and to other people.
- Another word for "thankful" is "grateful."
3. Craft - "I am thankful" tree
I found the most perfect craft for this lesson on Ministry-to-Children.com! It really is a blessing to find free crafts like this online and it was exactly what I was looking for! So, I am thankful to them ;)
Here's the link: http://ministry-to-children.com/thanksgiving-coloring-pages/print/
It's two pages, a tree and leaves.
Fill in the leaves with things that you're child is thankful for, cut them out and glue them on the tree. (Jenna did the coloring and gluing and I had her practice cutting by cutting out a few of the leaves.)
This was Jenna's finished product:
4. Song - "Praise Him, Praise Him" #31 on Wee Sing Bible Songs
5. End by reviewing the new verse one more time!