Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Lesson 6: God teaches us about Himself in the Bible

Note* For this lesson, I used a small Bible that we've given to Jenna.  It was one we already had (a Bride's Bible given to me for my wedding) and Jenna had taken a liking to it.  So, I used it today to help teach her about the Bible.  I also had a flashlight handy to illustrate the verse.

1. Verse - "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105
2. Lesson -
  • Pray with your child about the lesson.
  • Review past Bible verses.
  • Today:  God teaches us about Himself in the Bible.
  • The Bible is like God's letter to us. 
  • All of the Bible is God's words to us.  We call it the Bible, but it is also called "God's word."
  • It's very important to read the Bible because that's how God teaches us about Himself.
  • We read the Bible to learn about God.
  • We read the Bible to learn about what God wants us to do.
  • He gave us the Bible to help us through life.
  • Explain the verse:  When it is dark and you can't see, you can use a flashlight or a lamp to help find your way.  God says the Bible is like a lamp that lights up the darkness and shows us where to go.
  • It was morning when we did the lesson, so I planned a very short activity to do before bed with the flashlight.  I put Jenna's teddy bear in a dark room and had her use the flashlight to find her way and find him (while holding my hand.)  After she found him, we talked about the verse again.  She loved doing this.)   
  • We finished up the lesson by showing her where this verse is found in her little Bible and highlighting itThen, we went through and highlighted all her verses.We also talked about how all these words in the Bible are from God. 
                                                  
3. Craft - Coloring Page.
I'm sure there are many creative crafts you could do with this verse, but I found this coloring page that is just perfect, so we kept it simple! 
Go to this site...http://godstruckkids.com/coloring-pages and click on "Your Word's a Lamp" to download and print the page.
Jenna enjoyed coloring it...

4.  Song - "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet."
We're going old-school here!  This song isn't on the Wee Sing Bible Songs CD, but I decided to teach it to Jenna.  She liked learning a new song!  Here's a Youtube video of the song with the words, if you want to learn it!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SLHWFpSlq4
We mostly just sung the chorus about 20 times! 

5.  End by reviewing the verse one more time!

I'm happy to say that little sis was much happier during today's lesson!  I've just finished three weeks of lessons and I am really enjoying doing them.  Not only is Jenna learning about God, but it's also nice to have focused time where she's getting my full attention (except when Madeline needs some thing :) when we're working on something together.  God is so good and I know he's working through these simple, short lessons!  I hope things are going well for you, too, and I hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment