With this lesson, I'll start doing Bible stories, but along the way I'll work in lessons about things God wants us to do (love Him, Obey, Share, etc.). Just a reminder, I'll be using two different Bible story books to illustrate some of the stories...you can see them here. And now to the lesson...
1. Verse - "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1
2. Lesson -
- Pray with your child about the lesson.
- Review past Bible verses.
- Read today's verse and explain that "created" means "made."
- Before God made the earth and people, there was nothing. Everything was just dark, really dark. What does it look like when it's dark? (night time, really black, etc.)
- Then God made the earth and he did it in 6 days.
- Use the coloring pages from the craft to explain the story of the first three days:
- On the first day, God made day and night. Have your child look at the coloring page for the first day while you read Genesis 1:3-5 out loud.
- On the second day he made the sky and the water. Have your child look at the coloring page for the second day while you read Genesis 1:6 out loud.
- On the third day, God made dry land, seas, and plants and trees. Have your child look at the coloring page for the third day while you read Genesis 1:9, 11 out loud.
- Talk about what we know about these things: What do we do during the daytime/nighttime? What kinds of things are in the sky? What kinds of things grow outside in our yard?
- God made all these things and God says the things that he's made are really good.
- Pray: Thank God for night, day, the beautiful sky, the land, oceans, beautiful plants in our yard.
- Extension of the lesson - The next time you are outside with your child, point out the plants, trees, skies, etc. and talk about how God made these things!
Go to this website, http://www.coloring.ws/creation.htm, and choose one of the Creation coloring page sets to use. Have your child color the first three pages. In future lessons, they'll color the rest of them and staple them into a booklet!
Here are Jenna's! She got a little bored of coloring today and asked for some help from mommy...
4. Song: "The B-I-B-L-E" (#20 on Wee Sing Bible Songs)
"The B-I-B-L-E. Yes, that's the book for me! I stand alone on the word of God. The B-I-B-L-E!"
5. End with reviewing the new verse one more time!
Hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, spending extra time with family and friends!