1. Verse - no new verse today. The lesson is taken from Genesis 6:9-9:17.
2. Lesson -
- Pray with your child about the lesson.
- Review previous Bible verses.
- Read the story to your child from a storybook Bible. I read, "A new beginning" from The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones.
- Recap after the story: God told Noah to build a giant boat, called an "ark."
- Noah obeyed God and God protected him from a really big storm.
- Sometimes it rains at our house. Now, think about if it rained for forty days at our house. The water would get higher and higher and our house would fill up with water! That's called a flood.
- That's what happened at Noah's house!
- But God wanted to protect Noah and all the animals so he put them in Noah's boat. There were two of every kind of animal - a boy and a girl.
- When the storm was all over and the boat was on dry land, God made a promise that He would never flood the whole world again. He put his promise in the sky - a rainbow!
- Whenever we see a rainbow, we can remember the story of Noah and God's promise!
I came up with this craft idea because I already had this ribbon in the house (and the cotton balls). If you don't have the ribbon, you could use the coloring page below or google "Noah's Ark craft" or "Rainbow craft" and find an idea that will work for you!
Here's what we started with: cotton balls, pieces of ribbon (about 6 in long) in rainbow colors (for some reason my purple ribbon looks brown in the picture! It is actually a dark purple.), and a piece of construction paper cut in the shape of a cloud with "God's Promise" written at the top. You also need a small strip of white paper, to cover the glue at the top of the ribbon (not pictured here.)
Here's a nice coloring page, if you'd rather go that route!
"Who built the Ark? No-ah, No-ah!
Who built the Ark? Brother Noah built the ark!..."
It's a cute song!
5. End: By reviewing what a rainbow means!
*Note for mom - There was one quote from our storybook, that I just loved!
"But Noah didn't mind so much what other people thought, he minded what God thought. So he just did what God told him to do."
Simple obedience! And what an amazing example in Noah. Oh that I would have a heart like his!
God bless you all! I'm praying that your lessons are going well!