2. Lesson -
- Pray with your child about the lesson.
- Quickly review the people that you've already done lessons about...Adam and Eve and Noah.
- Now there was a man that God thought was very special, his name was Abram.
- His wife's name was Sarai.
- They were married, but they didn't have any kids.
- They wanted to have kids, but they had to wait until God wanted to give them a baby.
- God decided Abram was special so he told them to move to a far away, special place...
- Let's read a story about it....I read "God Makes a Promise" from The Beginning Reader's Bible. I only read the first half because I thought that introducing Abraham and Sarah was enough for one lesson. Remember, you can use your own story book Bible!
- Review the details of the story by explaining the pictures in the book. (This particular book has fantastic pictures!!)
- Since I split this lesson in half, I got as far as...God told Abram and Sarai to move to a far away place, God made a promise to Abram that He would make a great nation out of him with many descendants, and God changed their names to Abraham and Sarah.
You can find the printables for these paper dolls here at makingfriends.com (be warned there's a video on this page that automatically starts playing, so don't be alarmed if you're computer starts talking to you!!)
Anyway, choose the dolls, clothes, and hair that you want to use. I chose these...
Then cut the people and the pieces out and glue them onto a piece of construction paper. We glued the people first, then the hair, then the clothes. Here's our finished product:
*Note - this craft was fun, but it was definitely a little more work. I did all the cutting and I helped with some of the glue application because the little pieces were hard for her to glue. She was able to do the coloring and putting the pieces on. She liked it a lot!
Also, one other little problem with this craft is that it slightly misrepresents Abraham and Sarah. Jenna said, "Abraham and Sarah were babies??" (because the dolls look like little kids!) Whoops! SO, I had to explain and clarify that Abraham and Sarah were actually very old. So, just be warned about that glitch!
4. Song - "Father Abraham"
# 23 on Wee Sings Bible Songs
5. End by reviewing the important parts of the story again!